SSL or Secure Socket Layer is a form of technology that is responsible for establishing a secure connection between the web server and the client (or web browser). There is a term we are acquainted with, which is an SSL Certificate. These certificates play an integral role in HTTPS Protocol. SSL Certificates are important in HTTPS to form a secure network connection between the client and the webserver. Well, let’s now about a few root terms.
HTTPS stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure, in simple terms when HTTP and SSL/ TLS are combined they provide secure communication between the client (web browser) and web server over a secure network.
They are the software-based medium of communication in computer networking. Each and every one of the ports performs a different task that is operated by the computer’s operating system. There are networking ports, software ports, and ports in operating systems or hardware.
Every port is assigned with a specific set of numerals called their Port Number, with the certain task to perform. For example, HTTP is associated with the Port Number ‘80’ and it has a specific task to perform, that is to manage the messages related to establishing connections whereas HTTPS has the TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) with the port number ‘443’.
Certificates and Ports are like brick and cement, and as brick and cement are both required to make a house, likewise Certificates and ports both are required to make an authenticated connection.
– SSL Certificate: They are the digital certificate that proves a web page’s legitimacy to the user whose server is trying to connect with the webpage’s server.
SSL Port or HTTPS port: It is a gateway or the path that helps in transferring the information, data, or messages between the client’s server and the Webpage’s server securely.
As the increasing cybercrimes, secure browsing becomes important for communication as we know SSL is important in order to establish a secure connection between the client and the webserver on HTTPS. This connection is important for the security of the client’s IP address as well as the information of the browsing history, and this can be made possible on ‘Port 443’ because HTTPS uses TCP port 443 which is important for secure browsing.
Basically, HTTPS is a form of HTTP but with the SSL, because without it will be just like HTTP which is unable to establish secure connections. Thus it kind of becomes a salient feature to download SSL Certificate.
Predominantly, the SSL Port number is the same as HTTPS that is‘443’. There are different layers present in the protocol Stack of HTTPS and SSL is one of the security layers, which is a necessary element to have in order to establish a secure networking connection.
– To initiate HTTPS, the client’s server goes through the security Layer to check for the SSL Certificate.
– As soon as the validation and authentication of the SSL Certificate are done, the HTTPS protocol is activated.
– And a secure connection is established.
– Now, the client can securely exchange data with the webserver.
Nowadays, everybody on the internet wants secure browsing, due to which HTTP’s era will soon be over because of the security issues. Therefore, it becomes essential to have SSL Port installed and an SSL Certificate too for the initiation of the HTTPS protocol. Also, here are a few reasons or benefits it provides, that might convince you to install SSL Port.
– Faster Uploading, Downloading, and Loading: It is way faster as compared to HTTP. Just seconds after your click you will see the webpage, that’s how fast it is. It does not matter how large the files are, the downloading and uploading is quite faster as compared to HTTP.
– Secure Platform for Browsing: As mentioned above, it provides safe communications and connections.
– Good for SEO: The search engine optimization works better on HTTPS, SEO benefits can be accessed on HTTPS only. But the thing we have to take care of is the proper implementation of HTTPS.
– Protects from traducers: It keeps all the hackers, Traducer, or data attackers Because of the Authenticated properties of HTTPS, it becomes hard for the traduces to access any information about the client that browsing around the internet.
– Required for monetary transactions: Some payment card companies have made it a prerequisite to use HTTPS because of security reasons.
Well, SSL also faces a few Vulnerabilities, and we will discuss a few of them.
The heartbleed Vulnerability is basically caused because of the presence of the Heartbleed bug. This bug is responsible for leaking the information about the private key to the traducers from the SSL Certificate, even it is capable of leaking the passwords without leaving any evidence behind. Well, to take care of it you need to keep your software versions up to date and cover-up and update the OpenSSL software.
SSL 3.0 is an old and outdated version of SSL and is packed with thousands of vulnerabilities, it could cause phishing attacks, accessing of delicate information about your company through your website. The best way to avoid it is to take care that you have upgraded to the TLS Version and have enabled it.
Weak cipher can prove to be harmful to your site and can be responsible for the MIMT attacks. It is best if you disable the weak cipher SSL suite and install the Strong SSL cipher suite.
It is also known as the man in the middle attack vulnerability and it affects the cipher lock chaining encryption and is also caused because of the outdated versions of SSL/TLS. So, make sure to keep your software up to date.